The Best of Jane Austen

"Run mad as often as you choose but do not faint." - Fanny Price

Friday, October 20, 2006

Pride and Prejudice Movies vs. Pride and Prejudice Book

Today I finished rereading Pride and Prejudice for the second time. Even though I knew what was coming I enjoyed the book far more this time. I have grown used to Jane Austen's way with words and was much better able to appreciate her wit. There are a million literary don'ts now days that she artfully gets away with. To have her talent.....

I am amazed at how closely the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice, starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, followed Austen's book. They were so true to her intent. Large portions of dialogue are taken right from the pages of Pride and Prejudice and even more has been only slightly modified. Darcy in this movie is enough to twist your heart around in circles right along with Elizabeth's.

The more recent version of this tale starring Keira Kneightly incorporates more of the humor, I must say, but it also portrays more of what 21st century people would have done in 19th century England. Not necessarily what they would have done themselves.

However, both movies succeeded in bringing Austen's most vivid character Elizabeth to life. I applaud everyone who spent any time at all working on these films. You made me believe, so you have done your job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home